Prince William Visits Singapore to Promote His Earthshot Prize

This week, Prince Charles visited Singapore for two days to promote his Earthshot Prize to find innovative solutions for global warming. He was joined by scientists and entrepreneurs who have already won this award and developed solutions that could help cool our planet down.

Winners were chosen from 43 entries submitted in Chinese, English, Malay and Tamil and each category winner received a cash prize of S$50,000. Starting in 2022, physical awards will again take place across Singapore with 12 winners being recognized across each language spoken here.

This year’s award recognizes those individuals who go the extra mile in serving their community, prioritising others over themselves at key moments and embodying compassion, humility, integrity and transparency – this includes making significant sacrifices and contributing to society through significant sacrifices – by honoring individuals selected by a jury consisting of members from public bodies, academies and academic institutions. The winners were determined by public vote with public votes accounting for 51% and the other 49% being allocated among themselves as judges.

On his visit, Prince William explored Changi Airport’s Rain Vortex, the world’s largest indoor waterfall which was illuminated green to welcome him and his entourage. Prior to that he met with leaders from the private and public sectors as well as science and technology at a gala dinner of President Science and Technology Awards (PSTA) hosted at Grand Hyatt Singapore.

The PSTA is Singapore’s highest award for scientific excellence and celebrates its importance within society. Over time, it has also come to recognize Singaporean research talent – creating a stronger network of scientific leadership in Singapore.

Hidayah Amin’s Leluhur: The Story of Kampong Gelam by Hidayah Amin took this year’s prize awarded for books on Singapore as it highlighted some of its more complex and nuanced histories that may otherwise remain obscure to non-academic audiences. The prize is administered by NUS Department of History; among its shortlist was Sonny Liew’s graphic novel which won several Eisner awards – considered comic book’s Oscars; as well as Khir Johari’s book on modern Singaporean Malay cuisine by food historian Khir Johari.

Prize promotions and competitions held in Singapore do not fall under gambling regulations as long as participants do not pay to take part; prizes do not directly correlate to financial commitment by participants; and terms and conditions of participation are clearly and unambiguously stated. Click here for more on Singapore’s gambling laws.